WHAT TO EXPECT AFTER SURGERY:
SURGERY POST OPERATIVE RECOVERY AREA:
After your surgery is completed, you will be taken to the recovery area where one family member, or friend may visit you.
- A nurse will discuss your post- surgical medications and discharge instructions with you, as well as provide you a written copy to take home.
- Due to medications administered during your stay, YOU ARE NOT PERMITTED TO DRIVE YOURSELF HOME. A responsible adult must drive you home. Taxis, Uber, buses and the like are not acceptable methods of returning home.
- Make sure that you are not alone for the next 24 hours following surgery. You may feel dizzy, or lightheaded several hours after the surgery/procedure and may require assistance at home.
- Upon arriving home, it is very important to follow your doctor’s instructions regarding rest, medications and activity.
- A diet of clear liquids, progressing to a regular diet four (4) to six (6) hours after surgery is recommended. Heavy foods immediately after surgery may make you nauseated.
- It is advisable that you do not sign any contracts, legal documents or operate machinery for twenty-four (24) hours after surgery.
- Take advantage of this time to rest.
- It is the patient’s responsibility to make follow up appointments for continued care with their surgeon.